Bringing Experience, Attention & Powerful Advocacy to Your Case

We Help You When Circumstances Change in Your Life

In Florida, a “substantial change in circumstances” can be grounds for increasing, decreasing, or terminating a child support or alimony order, or for modifying a child custody order. At the Boca Raton based Law Offices of Andrew M. Smith, P.A., we help our clients reach resolutions in the modification of child support, spousal support or child custody orders.

We invite you to contact us by phone at 561‑961-4665 or by e‑mail through this Web site to schedule an appointment with our attorney. We offer a low-cost initial consultation.

Substantial Change in Your Financial Situation

At Andrew M. Smith, P.A., we help clients who suffered a substantial change in circumstances related to job loss, disability, injury or other situations resulting from factors beyond their control. Such changes may render it difficult or impossible to comply with an existing child support or alimony order.

Modification of Child Support Orders

A post judgment child support modification is available when necessary and in the best interests of the child. If you have had a substantial change in circumstances that is significant, material, permanent, and involuntary, our founder, Andrew Smith, can help you. He has experience in handling complex legal and financial issues to help you obtain a child support modification.

Modification of Alimony Orders

Bankruptcy, unemployment, or other substantial changes in your financial situation can make it impossible to continue paying alimony at the current level. In Florida, a substantial change in an alimony recipient’s need and/or the alimony payers ability to pay can be grounds for a post judgment modification to increase, decrease, or terminate alimony. We can help.

Contact Us

For more information or to schedule an appointment with an experienced lawyer regarding enforcement or a modification of orders for child custody or support, please contact us.

The hiring of a Florida lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice or the formation of an attorney/client relationship.

Can I refuse visitation if my ex-spouse fails to pay child support?
No. You cannot refuse visitation, if it has been ordered by the Court, because your ex-spouse has failed to pay child support. The failure of a party to follow a court order should be brought to the attention of the Court. Therefore, if your ex-spouse violates a court order to pay child support, that issue should be brought to the Court’s attention.
Read More
There has been an order of child support in my case, but my circumstances have changed. Is it possible to have the child support order modified?
The Court will look at a change in circumstances of the parties through a petition to modify support. If there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the original order, the Court may modify the order, based on those changed circumstances.
Read More
My spouse has always controlled our finances. He/She makes the money and I don’t have access to funds to pay for an attorney. What do I do?
Most attorneys require an initial retainer before they will start working on your case. Many attorneys accept credit cards. Once the case reaches the court system, the Court may require your spouse to pay for your attorney’s fees.
Read More
What is mediation?
Mediation is a process where the two parties get together and attempt to negotiate a settlement between the two, rather than having the judge make the final decision. Mediation can save time, money and misery. A settlement is not required, however, simply because you agree to mediate.
Read More
How is marital property divided in Florida?
As a general rule, in the state of Florida, property acquired during the marriage is split evenly, despite whose name the property is in. With any general rule, there are exceptions. The courts can change the percentage depending on the parties’ specific circumstances.
Read More
What if my spouse is hiding or misrepresenting his assets?
Each party must sign a sworn financial affidavit. If your spouse is hiding or misrepresenting his assets, you may be entitled to compensation relating to those hidden assets.
Read More
Scroll to Top