Domestic Violence

Bringing Experience, Attention & Powerful Advocacy to Your Case

Protecting You from Spousal Abuse

If you are in an abusive relationship, you need to protect yourself and your children. At Andrew M. Smith, P.A. in Boca Raton, Florida, we represent clients in a variety of domestic violence cases. If you are seeking protection from domestic violence, you need an experienced and aggressive attorney at your side.

We invite you to contact us by phone at 561‑961-4665 or by e‑mail through this Web site to schedule an appointment with our office. We offer a low-cost initial consultation.

Helping You File for a Restraining Order

At Andrew M. Smith, P.A., we help clients to pursue restraining orders, also known as petitions for injunction for protection against domestic violence. Abuse does not have to occur and must never be tolerated. Even if there have only been threats of violence, is it still imperative to secure a protective order.

Telling Your Story and Getting to the Facts

Andrew M. Smith, the founder of our firm, will represent you in court and help you tell your story. If the proper burden of proof is met, a judge will grant a temporary restraining order. Approximately two weeks later, a hearing is held at which the court will either extend or dissolve the domestic violence injunction. Our job is to aggressively pursue your rights and hold the abuser accountable for their actions against you.

Contact Us

For more information or to schedule an appointment with an experienced lawyer regarding domestic violence allegations, please contact us.

The hiring of a Florida lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice or the formation of an attorney/client relationship

Can I refuse visitation if my ex-spouse fails to pay child support?
No. You cannot refuse visitation, if it has been ordered by the Court, because your ex-spouse has failed to pay child support. The failure of a party to follow a court order should be brought to the attention of the Court. Therefore, if your ex-spouse violates a court order to pay child support, that issue should be brought to the Court’s attention.
Read More
There has been an order of child support in my case, but my circumstances have changed. Is it possible to have the child support order modified?
The Court will look at a change in circumstances of the parties through a petition to modify support. If there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the original order, the Court may modify the order, based on those changed circumstances.
Read More
My spouse has always controlled our finances. He/She makes the money and I don’t have access to funds to pay for an attorney. What do I do?
Most attorneys require an initial retainer before they will start working on your case. Many attorneys accept credit cards. Once the case reaches the court system, the Court may require your spouse to pay for your attorney’s fees.
Read More
What is mediation?
Mediation is a process where the two parties get together and attempt to negotiate a settlement between the two, rather than having the judge make the final decision. Mediation can save time, money and misery. A settlement is not required, however, simply because you agree to mediate.
Read More
How is marital property divided in Florida?
As a general rule, in the state of Florida, property acquired during the marriage is split evenly, despite whose name the property is in. With any general rule, there are exceptions. The courts can change the percentage depending on the parties’ specific circumstances.
Read More
What if my spouse is hiding or misrepresenting his assets?
Each party must sign a sworn financial affidavit. If your spouse is hiding or misrepresenting his assets, you may be entitled to compensation relating to those hidden assets.
Read More
Scroll to Top