Bringing Experience, Attention & Powerful Advocacy to Your Case

Determining Paternity for Child Custody and Support

At Andrew M. Smith, P.A., we work with mothers and fathers to establish paternity, resolve child support disputes, and formulate child custody and visitation agreements. Our focus is on the best interests and welfare of their children while being fair and respectful of the parental rights of the mother and the father.

Contact our Boca Raton office by phone at 561‑961-4665 or by e‑mail through this Web site to speak to our experienced Florida paternity attorney. We offer a low-cost initial consultation.

Addressing Your Concerns and Questions about Paternity

Do you need to establish custody, child support, and visitation for a child born outside of wedlock?

Are you unable to obtain child support because the father of your child refuses to acknowledge paternity?

Is the mother of your child challenging paternity and refusing to let you spend time with your child?

Are you unable to seek custody of your child because paternity has been called into question?

Are you being forced to pay child support for a child who is not yours? 

We Protect Your Parental Rights in Paternity Actions

At Andrew M. Smith, P.A., we work with unmarried parents to establish and enforce the non‑custodial parent’s obligation to pay child support. Our founder, attorney Andrew Smith, also protects both parents’ parental rights, including the right to have a relationship with the child. We will work with you to ensure that the necessary steps are taken to establish paternity. That includes initiating a paternity proceeding and obtaining DNA testing, if paternity has not yet been established or if paternity is challenged.

Contact Us

For more information or to schedule an appointment with an experienced lawyer regarding a paternity action, please contact us.

The hiring of a Florida lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice or the formation of an attorney/client relationship.

Can I refuse visitation if my ex-spouse fails to pay child support?
No. You cannot refuse visitation, if it has been ordered by the Court, because your ex-spouse has failed to pay child support. The failure of a party to follow a court order should be brought to the attention of the Court. Therefore, if your ex-spouse violates a court order to pay child support, that issue should be brought to the Court’s attention.
Read More
There has been an order of child support in my case, but my circumstances have changed. Is it possible to have the child support order modified?
The Court will look at a change in circumstances of the parties through a petition to modify support. If there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the original order, the Court may modify the order, based on those changed circumstances.
Read More
My spouse has always controlled our finances. He/She makes the money and I don’t have access to funds to pay for an attorney. What do I do?
Most attorneys require an initial retainer before they will start working on your case. Many attorneys accept credit cards. Once the case reaches the court system, the Court may require your spouse to pay for your attorney’s fees.
Read More
What is mediation?
Mediation is a process where the two parties get together and attempt to negotiate a settlement between the two, rather than having the judge make the final decision. Mediation can save time, money and misery. A settlement is not required, however, simply because you agree to mediate.
Read More
How is marital property divided in Florida?
As a general rule, in the state of Florida, property acquired during the marriage is split evenly, despite whose name the property is in. With any general rule, there are exceptions. The courts can change the percentage depending on the parties’ specific circumstances.
Read More
What if my spouse is hiding or misrepresenting his assets?
Each party must sign a sworn financial affidavit. If your spouse is hiding or misrepresenting his assets, you may be entitled to compensation relating to those hidden assets.
Read More
Scroll to Top