Bringing Experience, Attention & Powerful Advocacy to Your Case

Don’t let financial considerations  alone prevent you from making important decisions, such as filing for divorce, that are in your best interests and the best interests of your family. At the Law Offices of Andrew M. Smith, P.A., in Boca Raton, Florida, we will work with you, to obtain the alimony you need.

Contact us by phone at 561‑961-4665 or by e‑mail through this Web site to schedule an appointment and learn more about your right to receive alimony. We offer a low cost initial consultation.

Alimony for Husbands and Wives

In Florida, various types of alimony can be awarded to either a husband or a wife when there is a need and an ability to pay or as otherwise required to do “equity and justice” between the parties, including:

  • Permanent Alimony
  • Durational Alimony
  • Rehabilitative Alimony
  • Bridge‑the Gap Alimony
  • Lump Sum Alimony
  • Temporary Alimony

Identifying Factors to Determine Alimony

The court has fairly broad discretion to award alimony and to craft orders for spousal support tailored to the specific needs of the parties. Working with a family law attorney at Andrew M. Smith, P.A. can help you to ensure that you are aware of your options and that the court is made aware of all factors relevant to an award of alimony. Factors relevant to an alimony award may include:

  • The length of your marriage
  • Your standard of living during the marriage
  • Your age and physical or mental health
  • Your spouse’s age and physical or mental health
  • Financial resources available to you and your spouse
  • Whether a party’s career or education was disrupted because of the marriage

For more information or to schedule an appointment with an experienced lawyer regarding alimony, please contact us. We offer a low cost initial consultation.

The hiring of a Florida lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice or the formation of an attorney/client relationship.

Can I refuse visitation if my ex-spouse fails to pay child support?
No. You cannot refuse visitation, if it has been ordered by the Court, because your ex-spouse has failed to pay child support. The failure of a party to follow a court order should be brought to the attention of the Court. Therefore, if your ex-spouse violates a court order to pay child support, that issue should be brought to the Court’s attention.
Read More
There has been an order of child support in my case, but my circumstances have changed. Is it possible to have the child support order modified?
The Court will look at a change in circumstances of the parties through a petition to modify support. If there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the original order, the Court may modify the order, based on those changed circumstances.
Read More
My spouse has always controlled our finances. He/She makes the money and I don’t have access to funds to pay for an attorney. What do I do?
Most attorneys require an initial retainer before they will start working on your case. Many attorneys accept credit cards. Once the case reaches the court system, the Court may require your spouse to pay for your attorney’s fees.
Read More
What is mediation?
Mediation is a process where the two parties get together and attempt to negotiate a settlement between the two, rather than having the judge make the final decision. Mediation can save time, money and misery. A settlement is not required, however, simply because you agree to mediate.
Read More
How is marital property divided in Florida?
As a general rule, in the state of Florida, property acquired during the marriage is split evenly, despite whose name the property is in. With any general rule, there are exceptions. The courts can change the percentage depending on the parties’ specific circumstances.
Read More
What if my spouse is hiding or misrepresenting his assets?
Each party must sign a sworn financial affidavit. If your spouse is hiding or misrepresenting his assets, you may be entitled to compensation relating to those hidden assets.
Read More
Scroll to Top